Discovered: 10th January 2002
Species Day: 16th April
Native Land: Krawk Island
The Krawk is a scaly Neopet that stands on two large, flat feet. It is distinguished from other Neopets by the crest on its head, which falls down its neck almost like a furry pet's mane, and its jagged mouth. Unlike its fellow rare pet the Draik, it possesses no wings. At 100cm, it is larger than the majority of Neopets.
Krawks originate, quite logically, from Krawk Island. While there are morphing and transmogrification potions that can produce a Krawk, traditionally these Neopets evolve from the Petpet of the same name when taken to the mysterious Fungus Cave. (Labbed Krawk Petpets don't count, as genetically they are not Krawks at all. Also, despite the name similarity, Krawks are no relation to the Petpet Krawkadon.) Full-grown Krawks are loyal to their owners, but nevertheless very mischievous Neopets who delight in getting into all sorts of trouble. Look no further than the regular population of Krawk Island to find out what sort of things unsupervised Krawks can get up to! While they can eat anything most Neopets enjoy, they also have a taste for the fungus that grows in the island's caverns and crevices.
Krawk Island was discovered on the 5th day of Gathering, Year Three (known outside Neopia as September 5th, 2001), but the existence of its native species somehow managed to remain a secret for another four months! The Krawk was introduced on the 10th day of Awakening, Year Four ("January 10th, 2002") as one of Neopia's only Restricted-status pets. Its appearance has barely changed at all since then.
- Despite being one of Neopia's most coveted Neopets, the Krawk has consistently won the Wooden Spoon Award given to the least popular species. How? Well, the popularity charts only count Krawks that have been born in the traditional way, at the Fungus Caves-they don't account for pets who were born another species and morphed or transmogrified into a Krawk later. So the majority of Neopia's Krawks aren't even counted :(
A Few Famous Krawks
- Dorak is an enterprising treasure hunter who lost a promising haul when his ship was attacked by the Black Pawkeet. You can relive his efforts to recover the lost coins in the Dubloon Disaster series.
- Grimtooth is a keen player of Bilge Dice, and his name has become almost synonymous with that pirate game of chance.
- Lady Frostbite is a bitter and twisted villain who once planned to turn the whole of Neopia as icy as Terror Mountain. Her efforts were foiled by the Defenders of Neopia.
- Mr. Krawley is the mysterious figure behind all the troubles of the tiny town of Neovia. His potions and interference played many parts in the history that would come to be known as the Tale of Woe, but while others faced the consequences of their actions, this Krawk seems to have slipped back into the night without ceremony. No-one knows where he's been since, and perhaps that's for the best.
- Mrs. Doppelganger, also known as Old Lady Doppel, is a sinister elderly Krawk who is rumoured to kill unscrupulous Neopets who try to take advantage of her. Whether or not the stories are true, they're good for a thrilling scare on dark nights and ensure that younger pets behave respectfully to their elders.
See More »