Discovered: 25th May 2000
Species Day: 3rd February
Native Land: Neopia Central
The Zafara is a furry pet which walks on its two large footpaws. Notable for its large floppy ears and long, powerful tail, it also has characteristic spiky ridges on its spine and fluffy fur on its fringe and chest. While some people think the Zafara looks like a kangaroo, it seems to move around by walking rather than hopping. At about 40-50cm tall, it is a medium-sized Neopet.
Zafaras are known for their adventurous nature, and can be found just about everywhere in Neopia; they adapt well to many different habitats and do not have a specific homeland.
- The concept for the first Zafara was created by a Neopets player, Chanii1234, who was lucky and talented enough to win a design contest. As a reward, her imaginary Neopet was introduced to the site on the 25th of Hunting, Year Two (known on Earth as May 25th, 2000). Oddly enough, Zafara Day does not fall on the anniversary of this date, and is instead celebrated on February 3rd every year (25th May is Koi Day). Chanii's original design shows many of the features of the pet we know and love, such as the spine ridges and large ears and tail. However, this Zafara walked on all four of its paws, and lacked the powerful hind legs we're used to today.
A Few Famous Zafaras
- Ace Zafara is the star of Super Race, a video game created by Virtupets Studios, where he constantly tries to overtake his rival, Race Robot. It's unknown whether Ace exists in real life or if he is just a fictional character dreamed up by Virtupets' designers.
- Chadrick Woolsworth Tuffington IV, known as Chadley to his friends, is a popular classmate of AAA. In 2013, he stepped in to help with the Daily Dare when AAA was away at camp. His smile has been rated as Neopia's Most Charming by the Neopian Times for three years running.
- Edna, an ill-tempered witch, lives in a tall and lonely tower in the Haunted Woods. Once upon a time, she was a strange, humanoid creature not resembling any Neopet species, and very much at home among the monsters of the forest. However, a spell gone wrong gave her a Zafara's body, and she doesn't seem in any hurry to change back (having a tail long and strong enough to use as an extra hand must be useful). She gives out quests to brave or foolish Neopians who pay her a visit.
- Kayla is the royal potion-maker in Meridell, despite her relatively young age. She played an important role behind the scenes in Meridell's military campaigns. Now that the country is at peace again, she can be found in her potion shop selling magical spells and remedies.
- The real name of the Zafara Double Agent remains a secret, but thanks to the avatar named after her, this backstabbing Neopet remains famous long after her treachery in the second Meridell War. She has a much taller and skinnier build than the majority of Zafaras.
See More »
This page was written by Dream and last updated on May 2, 2019.